Population in Iredell county NC is 166,675 individuals, with 24.2 % being under 18 years old. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) states that One in Four adults, approximately 41,669 of the Iredell county population experiences mental illness in a given year. And approximately 60 percent of these adults (18,951), and almost one-half of these youth (5,042) with a mental illness received NO Mental Health Services in the previous year.
Our services help fight the problems from the impact of Mental Illness and address the needs in the community, such as:
* Serious mental illness costs America $193.2 billion in lost earnings per year
* Mood disorders such as depression are the third most common cause of hospitalization in the U.S.
for both youth and adults ages 18 to 44.
* Individuals living with serious mental illness face an increased risk of having chronic medical
* Adults living with serious mental illness die on average 25 years earlier than other Americans,
largely due to treatable medical conditions
* Over 50 % of students with a mental health condition age 14 and older who are served by special
education drop out−the highest dropout rate of any disability group
* Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in the U.S. and the third leading cause of death for ages
15 to 24 years
* More than 90 % of those who die by suicide had one or more mental disorders